A Peek at This Week
Welcome to Mrs. Barragree's middle school website!
We will be Studying:
*Note: There are tabs for each subject at the top of each webpage. These link to resources for you to use!*
Science: Erosion and Deposition by Wind, Ice, & Gravity; Fossils & Geological Change Over Time
- Weathering and Erosion video from StudyJams (just for fun at home)
- Erosion & Deposition by Wind, Ice, & Gravity study guide
- Gravity: Landslide lab sheet
- Fossil Introduction Activities
6th grade Math (1st hour): Geometric Solids
6th grade Math (2nd hour): Statistical Measures
- last Thursday's homework (April 13): Lesson 1 videos
- Tuesday's homework (April 25): Lesson 2 videos
- Thursday's homework (April 27): Lesson 3 videos
8th grade Math (4th & 5th hours): Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- EdPuzzle for your homework videos.
- Desmos online graphing calculator to check your work
- 1,000 Steps growth mindset video
- 8th grade math students:
Bring your calculators to class every day, and take them home to do your homework daily.
Extra Math Practice Recommendations:
- Khan Academy is available for extra practice, and also allows you to view teaching videos that explain how to do various types of math problems. Sign up and choose the grade level that you have just completed in school for a review of things you know and to learn a few skills you may have skipped!
- XtraMath is great practice for anyone who wants to improve their memorization of their basic facts. In just 7-10 minutes a day, you will improve your skills and increase your speed on math computations!
Saint-of-the-Day morning prayer group project:
- Calendar from Catholic Online with the "saint of the day" noted (click the saint's name to learn more)
- Catholic Online's index of saints and angels
- Catholic Pages directory of saints
For 6th grade Reading and Writing with Mrs. Kelly, follow this link to Mrs. Kelly's Website.
For 6th grade Social Studies with Mrs. O'Dowd, follow this link to Mrs. O'Dowd's Website.
For 6th grade Math with Mr. Cochran, follow this link to Mr. Cochran's Website.
For 6th grade Religion with Mrs. Watson, follow this link to Mrs. Watson's Website.
Technology: Click this link for the Typing Club website used at school.
Tests & major Projects this Week:
- 6th grade (Hour 1) - Chapter 7, Part 2 math test - Tuesday, April 25
- 6th grade science - Erosion & Deposition by Wind, Ice, & Gravity test - Tuesday, April 25
Materials We Will Need:
- Please be sure your child has a scientific calculator (TI 30XS Multiview) at school.
Notices for Parents:
Please check your child's planner EVERY DAY. This is the best way for us to communicate what your child needs to be completing for class.
Please be sure that your child is wearing the appropriate & complete uniform.
If your child will not be at school for a planned absence, please email or send a note to me ahead of time. If your child is ill, please email me or call the front office that morning by 9:00 to notify us.
Students NEED to have their basic 0-20 addition & subtraction facts and 0-12 multiplication and division facts WELL memorized. Please practice by using XtraMath.com daily at home until mastered. This only takes 7-10 minutes each day.
April 28 - all school Mass
May 5 - all school Mass & crowning of Mary (bring one long-stemmed flower)
- Everyone who sent in special snacks & mints for KS Assessment testing days!
Birthdays this month:
Suzette, Sidney, Antonio, Sam W., and Ashley!
Click here for birthday treat guidelines.
Website Wonders of the Week:
Pacer Kids Anti-bullying site
Growth Mindset resources to explore
StudyJams for explanations of math and science concepts
SMART Goal-setting Strategy explanation
Online MAPS math activities to practice
Online MAPS reading activities to practice
Learn about Internet safety with a wide variety of information & videos
LearnZillion for lots of explanations for math and English/Language Arts topics.
Dance Mat Typing - fun and practical typing games online
Try Arcadamics for great online games for math, English, reading, and geography! You can compete against the computer, or other online players. Set up a "private game" and invite your SHS friends to join you in a cyber-space race.
Learn to play "Go" in 10 days! Japan's pandanet tutorial walks you through the basics of Go.
Incoming 6th graders should be able to:
Look up a passage in the Bible when given the book, chapter number, and verse numbers
Recite these prayers: Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Act of Contrition, Grace Before Meals, Grace After Meals, Angel of God, & pray the Rosary (may use a guide, but should have the prayers memorized)
Have all basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts memorized through 12's
Know whole-number and decimal place values
Add and subtract decimal numbers and fractions
Multiply and divide decimals by whole numbers
Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
Multiply and divide with multi-digit whole numbers, expressing remainders as fractions or decimals
Measure length to the nearest 1/8 inch and nearest millimeter (PRACTICE this at home!)
Read and write fluently in cursive with correct letter formation
Read a map using the compass rose, legend, and scale
Copy accurately from a textbook or the board to their own paper
Write complete, gramatically correct sentences
Write stories and reports of at least 5-7 paragraphs
Look up words in a dictionary using the guidewords at the top of the page
Spell their complete legal name
Write their home address accurately, as it should appear on an envelope
Use online search engines (such as OneKey) and key words
Type using correct "home row" keyboarding skills (Use Technology link for online keyboarding practice.)